Alfresco Software announced the general availability of Alfresco Labs 3 Stable.
"This release is designed to be the open source content services platform for all Alfresco and non-Alfresco content applications from document management and web content management to wikis," said John Newton, CTO of Alfresco Software. "Alfresco has already utilized the emerging CMIS standard to integrate content services to other open source systems like Joomla, as well as offering integrations to MediaWiki, Open Office and WordPress."
Alfresco Labs 3 Stable enhancements include:
Content Application Platform
Web Content Management
- Alfresco Web Studio - Drag-and-drop visual editor for end user site development built on Alfresco SURF
- Alfresco SURF - AJAX enabled Web UI component framework and built on REST WCM API
- REST based WCM Services API
- Content Deployment - Replicated, transactional deployment from staging area to live site
Collaboration - Alfresco Share
- Native SharePoint protocol support - Document editing via SharePoint protocol
- Flex Document Previewer - Zoom, snap points and full-screen
- AJAX Calendar - Drag-and-drop event support
- Links Directory Manager - Share internal and external links
- Enhanced SharePoint protocol site and workspace support
- Email-In Smart Folders - Email storage with attachment support
- CMIS - REST and Web Services binding Content Management Interoperability Services (CMIS) support
- SharePoint Protocol Support - Native SharePoint Protocol support from Microsoft Office and Alfresco Share
Performance and Multi-Tenant
- Performance - Multi-threaded CIFS support, version information optimization to significantly reduce database storage, and REST and Web Services CMIS support
- Multi-Tenant - Partitioned content, users, metadata, workflows and configurations
Open Source Content Services Platform Integration
- Joomla! - CMIS integration offering document library support for Joomla! sites
- MediaWiki - Quercus integration offering content services for MediaWiki content
- Open Office - Native Open Office access to Alfresco content services - contributed by Westernacher
There have been over 1.5 million downloads of Alfresco Labs internationally. Alfresco Labs is designed to enable developers to access a nightly build with the latest functionality.
Alfresco Enterprise is the supported Alfresco build and is used by more than 700 enterprise customers, including the NYSE, Los Angeles Times, Boise Cascade, Sony Pictures, Activision, Kaplan, FedEx and KLM.